Amount of food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnie13

Hello all! I am a chin mommy of two boys, Fred and George. They are just over a year old and are always very very hungry. I have been following the 2 tbs pellets and unlimited hay diet that was suggested to me, but I was wondering if it's safe to feed them more pellets than that?

I was told unlimited pellets/hay until they are one year old and then to start measuring out the pellets. Any advice would be great! Thanks :)

I free feed. I don't measure anything. If their feeder is empty, I fill it up.

2 tbs is just the average amount for a chin, some eat a bit more some a bit less. I would think it depends what the healthy weight your chin is/should be, a 400g adult chin for example is probably going to eat less then a 1,200g chin. So long as the chin is eating plenty of hay free feeding pellets isn't a problem, but hay should make up most (70-75%) of their diet (roughly a small handful worth a day). I measure out my guys pellets just to keep an eye on how much they eat, but if the bowl is empty I put more in. That way I notice right away if they aren't eating as much.

I always measure the food given. I dont generally limit it, but i do measure it. If a chin normally eats 2.5 tbls a day and i suddenly find that only 1 tbls is being eaten each day then i know there might be something wrong with him. Its a good early warning system when you monitor it.

Back