Seizure in older chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

My 16 year old chin had a really scary seizure this morning. I found him writhing on the floor of his cage, twitching and thrashing. I honestly thought he had fallen and broke his spine because he had no use of his legs at all. I scooped him up and held him crying while I called my fiancé to come help me. After 5 min he was alert but not moving. After 10 he had sat up normally but was lethargic. I put him in a separate cage and by 20 min he was hoping around normally. He is willing to eat a raisin, dust bath, run on the wheel and eat hay, so appears to be functioning normally. It's like nothing happened.

I took him to the vet and he gave him a thorough check up. He said he's in great condition despite his age except for a heart murmur (he's had that for ~4 years I think). The vet said there's not a lot we can do that's not invasive and stressful for an old chin so he suggested waiting and seeing if he seizures again. I was reading about nutritional deficiencys etc causing seizures so I was wondering if maybe he needs supplements at his age? The vet said no, but I was curious what you members thought. I feed oxbow pellets and Tim hay with occasional raisins. I picked up some critical care in case he needs added nutrition.

I don't know I'm kinda of at a loss here , it came out of nowhere. :( and I'm worried and not sure what to do. Any advice?

its worth mentioning that raisins are bad for them. They contain sugars that they cause them some internal harm.

Only thing i can really say is to keep a good watch on him. If it happens, take note of what was going on before it started. They can sometimes have certain triggers that cause it. (My guy would get worked up when he saw a female chin and couldnt get to her that he would go into a seizure.) If thats the case and your able to identify it, you can limit it.

Back