Seen vet...is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzuki1303

I took Diablo to the vet last Wednesday. His poor face was all swollen, like he had a rabbit nose and chipmunk cheeks. He was thankfully still eating/drinking/poo normal/active. The vet sent me home with anti-inflammatory meds (7-10days) and by the weekend the swelling was gone. We think he got bit by a spider/bug. I was also told I could give him .2ml of childrens Benadryl 2x daily as needed because he developed itching. My concern now is that he is lethargic/skittish. Still drinking/poo normal, eating but not like he used to and 75% active when out of his cage (which is a big cage, used to house 4 chins). He was checked for hair ring at the vet and all was good there. I have given him Critical care to assist with the food intake concern. I have spoken with the vet off/on about progress but I don't want to be the owner that calls daily. Does this sound like normal recovery behavior and I'm just overly worried or should I have him seen again?
P.S. sorry for the lengthy post.

Well, Benadryl will make a person drowsy, so I assume it would a chin as well. I would stop giving it.

I have given benadryl to chinchillas, it does make them groggy. I would just make sure he is eating well and let the issue run its course.

Thanks for the reassurance. I just worry since my first chin got really sick out of nowhere and after seeing the vet and then setting a second appointment up for the end of the same week, he didnt make it. Never figured out what was wrong. Thanks again.

Back