Petco Aspen Bedding vs Kaytee Cozy Clean Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor_Orbit

Moon Cosmic Power Make up
Hi,
I was wondering for my new member Kimchi, if it would be better for her to have the Kaytee Cozy Clean bedding, or the Petco Aspen bedding? I do sometimes see that she eats kaytee bedding a bit here and there. What's the safest and cleanest one to use? Or is there a superior brand out there? The price of the Aspen bedding doesn't seem too bad. I have been using the big pack of the kaytee cozy and clean and I all ready use almost half of it, after a week and half. Then again I think I change the small litter daily, and the smaller cage I changed it like twice, cuz she actually pooped quite a bit the first time she was here. Anyway please let me know your suggestions, thanks!

I'd go with aspen or KD pine shavings over the Cozy Clean. The Cozy Clean is much more expensive, and if your chin eats it at all, it could expand in their intestines and cause major issues.

I don't use bedding for my chins and use fleece but I do use the petco aspen bedding for my rabbits and guinea pigs and like it and it wouldn't bother her if she did eat any of it.

Ditto on the fleece. I've used aspen before with other pets and when I attempted to potty train my boys (utter failure) and didn't have problems. They definitely nibbled on the shavings, but I took comfort in knowing they were safe to chew on. Cozy clean on the other hand...not safe to ingest

personally, i would recommend fleece lining. i used to use carefresh bedding but that was burning a hole in my pocket every month we needed to buy another bag of it. another problem with it was that i noticed Wall-E would eat it every now and then which was a big no no cause i didn't want it to cause him digestive problems. so i 86'd the bedding altogether. for the past month or so we've been using fleece and it's so much easier. you vacuum every 2 days or so, or you can just shake it off outside and you're good to go. then every 3 days or depending on how messy your little chin is, you just throw it in the washer. with 3 sets you should be able to keep down the amount of laundry you do.

if you wanted to stick with the options you mentioned above, out of the two i would go with the pine.

I completely agree on the fleece bedding suggestion. Our chins love it, it works great (and safely) and it even adds to the personality of the cage. If you do go the wood shavings route, I suggest a place like tractor supply where you can get huge bags of chin-safe aspen for great prices. I use that as well, since our mama Kana is a pee-machine.

Fleece bedding

Hi everyone,
We are new chin guardians and I'm currently setting up a cage fornhimn(arriving tonight). With regards to a fleece lining, where would I find it? Is it just a simple fleece blanket? Bought Caremark bedding per the pet food express salesperson. Should I have aspen instead if I can't get the fleece set up? Is it ok to put Caremark/aspen in for a few days and then swap out with fleece?

Back