Hi Everyone :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgsmith8

Hi, my name is Monica. I have had a wide range of fur babies throughout my life and recently I finally purchased chinchillas. I have wanted chinchillas for over 10 years because, not only are they incredibly cute but they also have huge and complex personalities. After lots of research and time spent debating purchasing or adopting chinchillas, last year I purchased 6 month old twin brothers that I absolutely adore. They have completely opposite personalities. Remmy bonded to me immediately and is outgoing, rambunctious, smart, and brave. Chewy however took until recently to warm up to me, he is more for food and chew toys. He likes my presence and some butt rubs but other than that he is more independent. I have been looking at threads for quite some time from this forum and really should have signed up sooner. I am constantly researching their behavior and how to best care for them.
As of late though my Remmy has had a 180 in his behavior that has really stumped me. A week after his wellness vet visit (which he was perfectly healthy at) his behavior suddenly become cautious and unfriendly towards me. His weight, eating, drinking, and activity level are close to the same but he no longer wants much to do with me. His normal self would greet me at the cage door and want to bounce all over the place and climb up and down me, but now he just wants to sit at the top of his cage with his head tilted to the side slightly, almost like he is glaring. He will usually come out if I sit far from the cage in the play space but he acts jumpy and skittish if I move at all. As far as I know nothing has changed in his environment, my behavior has not changed nor has any traumatic event happened with me present, and his health when last checked was very healthy. I can't seem to find any answers for this behavior change and I would appreciate any suggestions! I love my babies and would love to correct whatever has changed. On the upside his brother Chewy has become much more friendly as Remmy has become less friendly.

welcome to the board and to the chinchilla life!

keep a close eye on Remmy. If he's still eating drinking and pooping, i would say that a vet visit isnt warrented yet, but make sure those things indeed are still happening. Keep up your normal bonding patterns as well. You said you got your little guys last year, and this started happening after their last vet visit.... so for how long? keep spending time with him, talking to him, giving him the treats hes used to, etc etc. dont be pushy, just available. hopefully he will come back around!

Could it be that he's holding a "grudge" against you? Animals never like going to the vet, maybe he's just weary of you because you're the one that took him? Mine used to coo every single day in the morning when I'd come in, and now he rarely coos, except for at night when he goes CRAZY and never stops cooing, and I have no idea what changed to make him stop cooing in the mornings. Maybe yours is just having a bout of being anti social, mine has done that before where he just completely ignores me and sleeps all day it feels like.

also, welcome

Sorry it took me so long to respond, its been crazy week. I do appreciate all the advice. He is still currently eating, drinking, and pooping. His energy level has also returned to somewhat normal. Some nights are better than others with his behavior, like a few nights ago he appeared to return to his normal self and then reverted back to more antisocial behavior. When I initially posted this it had been about two weeks of the strange behavior after his vet visit. I have been doing my best to be patient and spend as much time with him as possible. I'm starting to think he may be holding a grudge. He is very good at them. It's just strange that his brother also pulled a 180 and is now super friendly and curious with me when before he was the antisocial one.

After careful watching I really am thinking it may be grudge related. His eating, drinking, and pooping have all remained the same. He has always been good at holding grudges I just never thought they would last for weeks lol. He is slowly warming back up to me but it depends on the night. I can't help but keep worrying though. My fur babies mean everything to me.

Back