Hay Holder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmmccroy

what do you guys use to hold your chins hay? looking for some better options, pics and where i can but the product are appreciated!

Snuggle-Safe-Ceramic-Carrot-Shaped-Dish.jpg

I even had one chin who refused to eat any hay when it wasnt in that dish.

I took a small cardboard box, tore off the top and one side, and used safety pins to fasten it to the cage. It's still a bit messy, but this was something I came up with as I was supposed to be leaving my house. My chinchilla is too picky to eat his hay out of a bowl. I'm very surprised at how much he's eating hay now!

Attachments

• hayholder.jpg
    hayholder.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
I finally tracked down one of those ceramic flat sided flower pots and started putting hay in it. The chins went wild for it - popcorning and the like. I think they just like new stuff in general.

I also use a willow ball that they have started to demolish. I stick hay inside poking out the top and position it on one of their shelves in case the other one is hogging the hay pot. It lasts for a while, but eventually the willow ball needs to be replaced and the cycle starts all over again.

i have gone thru several options throughout my ten years as a chinowner and finally have found my favorite. At Petsmart, they have small ceramic "critter dust bath" containers (for a hamster? i dont know) but it is absolutely PERFECT for shoving a fistful of hay in. they can pull it out easily without creating a mess as well. and they are so reasonably priced, easy to find, looove it!! heres a link online. or search "all living things small pet critter bath".

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...t:GSC - Brand - Specialty - Small Pet | Food

Back