Chinchilla with tumor - how do you know it's time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almsgf

Our five-year-old female chinchilla has a tumor between her lungs and heart. The vet doesn't know if it's cancerous or not, but it is growing. She said surgery isn't a feasible option and that it's just a matter of time until the tumor causes her to not be able to eat and/or breathe.

We've been seeing the vet regularly for the last five months. Our chin has lost more than half of her body weight, but she is still eating and pooping, running on her wheel and acting like herself. She doesn't seem like she's in pain.

She has had wet fur beneath her chin for a long time (that was the first symptom that caused us to seek vet care). But recently it's gotten worse and there is what looks like vomit or diarrhea on the shelves in her cage.

I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to euthanize her too soon, either. Any advice?

One of our posters always says when you feed your chin their favorite treat and they don't want it anymore, it's time. My opinion is that if she seems to be declining and not enjoying life, let her go. It's better to be a little too soon than a little too late.

My vet used to tell me it is the quality of life to go by. I try to give my chins goji berries every other month. if they refuse to eat it something is wrong with them then I will make an appointment.

Back