Bedding for litter pan

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DekuChilla

Hey all! quick question. Currently for my chinchillas litter pan I use aspen. I was looking to going to something more absorbent like kaytee clean and cozy as I have used it for gerbils in the past and loved it. His bedding for the rest of his cage is fleece. Anyway once in a while we will pick up a little piece of the aspen and nibble on it. would it be safe if he were to ingest a little kaytee? also would you guys say the lavender scented bedding would be safe for this too? Thanks!

The only safe bedding would be aspen or kiln dried pine. Unfortunately the paper bedding types are not safe for chins, most will eat it. When paper bedding gets wet it expands, which is what happens in a chin's gut, creating a blockage. Wood shavings on the other hand don't expand, and chins are actually designed to eat small amounts of wood.

Since the lavender scent most likely either comes from chemicals or essential oils I would say not safe. For deodorizer you can use certain horse stall deodorizer though, like Sweet PDZ.

Back