Used Ferret Nation Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

So I found a great deal for a used ferret nation cage on Craigslist. It seems to be in good condition and I’m going to go check it out later this week. I guess I just wanted to make sure it was safe to move my chinchilla into a used cage. I’ll definitely be cleaning it thoroughly before moving her. I just wanted to check if there’s anything specific I need to do.

Used cages are a good way to get cages for cheap, I would just make sure it's not rusted or broken. Also wash it down with bleach yourself, not just normal vinegar and water mix you would normally use for cage cleaning. Even if they said they already cleaned it, I'd still do it myself as well just to be sure. If it has any wood shelving in it I would just toss them, same with any other cage items, if it comes with any, that can't be disinfected.

Personally I also like to find out what happened the to previous resident and what it was (for used cages in general not FN specific), and if it died, was it sick. That way I know how deeply I really need to get cleaning the cage. Does it just need a wipe/scrub down with bleach or should I disassemble it and really get into all the nooks and crannies.

Great thank you! I’ll definitely inquire about the previous chinchilla that lived in the cage.

Back