Please help! Chin may need emergency care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishbowl505

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and am in desperate need of advice. My chinchilla, Baron, is going to be 4 years in May. He has been a healthy and energetic boy his whole life. The other day, my boyfriend and I noticed he wasn't hopping out onto our shoulders like he always does, nor did it look like he has eaten or had anything to drink from his bottle.

I let him rest, thinking maybe he was tired, and the next day (this morning) I noticed he still hasn't had any liquid or food. He also has some yellowish/brownish discharge coming out of his anus/genital area. He is very jumpy and doesn't like being picked up whatsoever, so I wasn't able to get a good look.

It is now over 12 hours later (we had to go to work, but I had a friend come over and keep an eye on him) and he still has not consumed anything, and he has barely pooped. I don't know if he has peed at all. He has a vet appointment for tomorrow at 1 pm, but is this serious enough to take him to the emergency vet tonight? Please help!!! I don't want my little man to he suffering and me not acting on it quick enough.

Honestly if it was my chin I would be getting him in to the vet now. Once a chin stops eating for more then a day their gut starts to shut down and the bacteria starts dying off, meaning even if force fed they no longer can digest anything.

My other worry is the discharge you are talking about, are you sure Baron is a male? It sounds like a possible uterine infection which would mean he is actually a she. If not the only other think I can think in a male would be a gut or urinary tract infection. Either way this is an emergency situation, it might be ok to wait until tomorrow afternoon, but if he were mine I wouldn't since it's already been going on for so long.

Thank you for the advice. I would much rather be safe than sorry. He still seems energetic enough (he just took his bath and ran around for a bit) but the discharge and the lack of any consumption of food or water scares me. I'm sure he's male because I check him for hair rings regularly, and my friend and breeder I got him from confirmed him as male once he was about a year old. I'll definitely head to the emergency clinic in about half an hour if he still won't drink. Shall I try coaxing him with a small syringe of water?

Back