What to do with chinchillas during a hurricane?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechin

Does anyone have experience owning a chinchilla in Florida or similar climate? I have always lived in the Midwest with my chinchillas, but am planning on moving to FL.... and am concerned about the hot weather in combination with power outages due to hurricanes. Really really worries me that they would overheat and could use some perspective. Thanks.

Any period of time with a/c could be deadly to chins. Meaning temps combined with high humidity. I would have a safety net for short period of no a/c and high temps(freezer bottles wrapped in fleece, frozen/cold chin chillers or granite tiles) that can be safely place in cage for chin to lay on/against should they want to. For more than a few hours/high temps I would strongly suggest a window a/c and generator(does't have to be big-just as long as the a/c is the only unit device you power) If you have several friends/family out of area that will have power and a/c they may be willing to chin sit-take my advice and have at least three of these friends for backup.Lastly if it's expected to be evacuated/large scale have a metal chin carrier with zip bags for hay,feed,etc ready to go quickly and everyone bug out together! These are just a few of my suggestions. Other people may have ideas too. Biggest thing is preplan as much as humanly possible not for what might happen but for what will happen at least once.

I agree with what the other member said, but you could also look to invest in a backup generator. I don't know how much those cost, but if you are moving to a very humid place that can have power outages then a backup generator, I believe, would be a good idea to have.

Hurricane possible solution

Hi, I'm new to the group. Due to hurricane Dorian this prompted my search for a solution for my chins if we were to lose power. My concern was the period of time during the hurricane when you cannot use your generator and you've lost power. So this is my idea, but haven't tried this yet, as for right now we have been spared the storm this time. I purchased an AC/DC USB mini fridge from Amazon, and a separate power back for the USB connection. My fridge arrived yesterday and within 1 hour of plugging it in, it was at 31 degrees. My idea (after ice packs have expired) would be to put the chins in their pet carrier and have the mini fridge run with the door open, hopefully I never have to try this!

Back