Can Apple Sticks Go Bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

So I bought my chinchilla a pound of apple sticks about 3-4 weeks ago. I’m almost at the end of the bag but I noticed one of the sticks had this white stuff on it and looked different than the others. I threw it out and inspected the bag but didn’t find any others like that. Do apple sticks go bad? I buy the one pound bag because it’s more cost efficient but it does take my chinchilla about a month to go through it.

Well they can get old and may not taste as good after many years, and they can get mold or fungal growth on them if not kept in a dry place. I buy several pounds of wood at a time, a pound or two of each of different kinds, and still have some that I got a couple years ago.

What you are describing sounds like either mold or the fuzzy stuff some kinds of trees get on the bark of new growth to protect the buds. If it's the apple tree new growth fuzz it's completely harmless and looks like THIS It should only be on the bark at end of the stick where new buds are and shouldn't smell like anything (mold smells moldy).

Okay it definitely was the new growth fuzz that you described. There was no smell to it either. I threw out the stick that had it cause I wasn't sure, but thanks for helping! I was worried they had somehow started to go bag. I keep my wood in a sealed container.

Back