Chins from breeders ending up in rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
So this has happened a few times now where a chin was surrendered and the person has said it was from a breeder. Now I know in one case the breeder knew and in the other two I am not sure. No breeder has ever contacted me about the chins from them ending up in rescue.

So for the breeders, do you want to be told when a chin comes into a rescue that came from you? If you do hear about a chin ending up in rescue do you try to get that chin?

Rescues, do you contact breeders? Would you turn around and hand over to a breeder?

For me, i don't contact the breeders and ensure those chins do find a great home. I have not been in a situation where a breeder has demanded a chin back.

I would prefer if I was contacted and could take the chin back. My contract has a clause stating the chin is to come back to me, but we all know this is not always the case. If I have a chin surrendered to me that came from another breeder (which has happened once) I do contact that breeder and let them know.

My babies will always be my babies, no matter how long they've been gone.

So for the breeders, do you want to be told when a chin comes into a rescue that came from you? If you do hear about a chin ending up in rescue do you try to get that chin?
Yes, the rescues in the area do contact me if the owner leaves the ear tag in.

Any chin that leaves me always has a home here unless the rescue really wants to keep it for some reason.

I have an agreement upon purchase, with chin owners to notify me if they can no longer look after their chinchilla(s), and give opportunity so that I can at least take the chinchilla back to provide them with a good home.

My concern is the amount of stress on the chinchilla, to go from one home to another home to another home, etc... If I do take them back, they tend to stay with me or family members as pets, for the rest of their lives.

When I have taken in chinchillas from others(seldom but it does happen if it is a dire situation.), if it turns out they were bred by someone, I do contact the breeder and let them know. What they choose to do or not do afterwards, is up to them.

It would be so good if we, as breeders, could have more control over / knowledge of what happens when one of our chins leaves our care. I have been in the situation before (several years ago) where I sold a chin as pet-only, only to find out later on that the new owner did not honour to my conditions. It's discouraging when people aren't honest with you. So, yes, I would want to know about any of my chins, and I would be willing to intervene, if necessary.

I will take back any animals I breed to rehome. I probably couldn't pay to take it back though. Some people and even some shelters don't want to lose out on potential money. Our shelters and rescues (what rescues Iowa has, the guinea pig people call us the black hole for rescue because of the lack of resources here) charge $100-$150 to surrender an animal and then $100-$500 to adopt even if they got the animal in yesterday. They'd probably charge the breeder too.

I ask that customers contact me prior to re-homing an animal. I don't always have space to take it back and in that case I do what I can to help find it a home. I do not offer refunds or payment but will house and care for the chinchilla until it finds a permanent home. Well - as permanent a home as we are ever sure of....

I will take back any animals I breed to rehome. I probably couldn't pay to take it back though. Some people and even some shelters don't want to lose out on potential money. Our shelters and rescues (what rescues Iowa has, the guinea pig people call us the black hole for rescue because of the lack of resources here) charge $100-$150 to surrender an animal and then $100-$500 to adopt even if they got the animal in yesterday. They'd probably charge the breeder too.

I will not pay to take back one of my animals, and my contract states such. I haven't had any issues to date though.

I would gladly give a donation to a rescue in the event that they had my chinchilla and contacted me - I just wouldn't pay a pet owner to take it back.

I do not pay when I take a chin back. I usually charge $25 to the new owner and that is just to cover the cost of a metal carrier and starter packs of feed and dust. I set aside an hour appointment for them and go over care and any questions. I don't list them for free because I don't want them to end up as a lab animal or snake food.

Back