My loving chinchilla, Grayby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranquility

I guess that I'm writing as a catharsis of sorts. I can't believe that Grayby, my chinchilla, is gone. My wife and I bought him back in Hong Kong from a local pet store and it was love at first sight - he was so cute and funny, scratching at the store glass as if to say "take me!". Chinchillas have a very active and curious nature. They can be so mischievous and are troublemakers but one can never get angry because they are just too darn cute. I really loved his unique and forthright personality.

We had quite a journey, raising him in Hong Kong before taking him and our rabbit with us to Toronto. Our rabbit, Cookie, was so much trouble to bring into Canada due to a lot of red-tape/quarantine/precautionary measures but it was smooth-sailing for Grayby. He was always the more moody of our 2 pets but less than a week after the plane ride he was back to his playful self. Cookie was totally ignorant to the whole ordeal and stress of air travel. I compare them to the 'street-smart' older brother that is wary of the dangers of the world and the naive younger sister, just happy-go-lucky. It was so much easier to name Grayby. He was our 'Gray (ba)by'. Cookie took us forever to name.

I still can't believe that he is gone. Chinchillas are supposed to have a lifespan of at least 10-15 years, some even more. One day he was actively playing around and just a few days ago, I found him laying still in his home. I think that he probably died in his sleep. He would have been 7 this year. I never thought that he would go before Cookie as they are almost the same age and rabbits are much shorter-lived. It came totally unexpected and the worst thing was to turn around and tell my wife.

Goodbye, Grayby. You gave us years of joy and fun and adventures. I wish that we had many more. I love you very much and already miss you.
27138d1362513312-my-loving-chinchilla-grayby-grayby.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Grayby had a wonderful, happy life with you. He's now your Chinnie Angel watching over you from Chinnie Heaven. :flowers5:

Back