Question for bottom of cage..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptamom

I bought the following playpen which now allows Sunshine to come out of her cage, explore, and remained confined so I don't have to chase her. When she goes back in her cage, I can close it without stressing her out.

The playpen goes around the back of my Ferret Nation cage and to the front (I need to order another to give her further reign.

My questions are:
1) I have fleece on the 2 trays in my cage but the bottom wire bottom is bare. She likes to hop on it so I want to cover it with something to avoid harm to her feet. Can someone recommend me something to buy or put there?

2) I do not know what to do to play with her. I bring out a chew toy and move it like a stick which holds her interest for a minute; she usually likes to explore while I sit there watching her. Oh yea! I am quite happy that she feels comfortable enough to sit on my lap for a minute as well.

Any help, would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTG94TH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the bottom tray you can just zip tie a thick piece of cardboard to it. Since it's not in the cage that sure be good enough. Or you can get wooden boards to cover it. I used a double thick (folded) fleece blanket, it worked ok, but my guys didn't really go under there that much to begin with.

For playtime stuff I like to give them is chew balls, like willow vine balls and sola balls. They some times like to play with thick plastic cat ball toys with bells in them, just make sure they don't eat them. I also use tunnels and boxes for them to explore. You can even set up a maze type play area with treats or sticks hidden in it for the chin to find. Actual interactive play (like with a cat or dog) is not really something chins do though, the most they do is use you as a climbing thing. It's more of a "give them them stuff and watch them" situation. I did have one chin when I was a kid that actually enjoyed being chased, but she was an odd one.

Back