Just got a chin and have a few questions..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptamom

Hi, so glad that this board is here. I just got Sunshine from a rescue. She is a 1 yr grey. I have a couple of questions (lady at rescue was very knowledgeable).

I bought several wood ledges, a sleeping(safe) house, a couple of those chewing ledges that comes in various colors, a wheel, and of course the feeding dishes.

My questions are:

1) I know that cardboard isn't good for them but the lady gave me one of the cardboard wines boxes with a cut out. Sunshine enjoys sleeping there and I often here her chewing on the box. Today, when I looked, I didn't see any shavings. Should I take it out?

2) I have ordered some wood chew toys and waiting on a tube for her to arrive.

3) Her hay bin and pellet bin are both made of plastic? Should I dispose of those?

4) I looked at the various cages (I am quite jealous of some) and was wondering what kind of toys would you recommend?

Thx in advance.

1. Yes if she is actually eating it rather then just tearing it up take it away. It can cause a blockage if too much is swallowed.

3. Yes get rid of anything plastic in the cage and replace it. Plastic is not digestible and will cause a gut blockage. Metal, ceramic, or wood are all good options.

4. I recommend having a variety. Hanging toys, toss toys, shedding toys, as well as different types, grass, vine, wood, coconut, lava or pumice rock, loofah, etc. Each chin has their own preferences so it's best to get an assortment and found out what she likes. Then you can order more of that. I would also check out the vendors on here, they make chin approved safe toys (which can't always be said of pet stores). You can even buy in bulk (once you know what she likes) from some and make your own toys.

One thing to add, you said you got her a wheel, but did you make sure it's a chin safe one? Minimum of 15" solid metal, no spokes or mesh.

Thx

Thanks so much. I did remove the hay feeder and the box for safety reasons. The hay feeder did look as though she had chewed on it.

If you don't mind, would you please post a pic of the few the toys you have. I did look under shop and didn't see any vendors. I probably looked in the wrong spot.

Yes, my wheel is metal with wood on the back.

Oh, yeah the shop link is the shop for the forum not the vendors, the vendors are in the banner ads and classifieds. ;)

I live in Canada so the vendors I use and the toys I have aren't going to be much help to you (I mostly buy parts in bulk and make my own toys), but just a few as examples in the US are,

Chinchilla City
Twilight Chinchillas They make some really nice looking custom stuff
AZ Chins
Forever Fiesty Chinchilla

Here is the list of vendors from the classified section.. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20384 it's old though so you may have to click through to figure out if they are still in business or not.

More specifically, for toss toys favorites tend to be things like, vine shapes (ball, hearts, stars, etc), bamboo shredders/finger traps, and sola balls. For hanging toys, lava bites, wood shapes (not just pine, there are several kinds of chins safe woods), chew sticks and coins with a hole drilled in them and hung up. For wood I would highly recommend Ronda's Chinchillas for variety to help you figure out what your chin like (she does sampler packs too). Apple is pretty much a universal favorite for all chins, but a variety of flavors is always nice.

Back