Eye closed shut

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

This is a new symptom and I have an appointment to go to the vet at 5pm EST today. It was their soonest.

She has developed a chronic weepy eye infection over the last 3 or 4 years. About every 6 months she develops an eye infection. The vet exrayed for malclusion and decided that was not the cause. They prescripe eye drops ofloxacin ophthalmic and flurbiprofen twice a day for 10 days and it would clear up for about 6 months. Over the years I have doubled and trippled my efforts to keep her living space cleaned in case that was part of the cause. The occurrences seemed to become farther apart after cleaning but I don't know if its related. Usually the symptom is damp matted fur around one eye and then after a couple days the other eye will start

This time the eye that started has gone completely shut. I never saw this happen to her. It started out like before but in the course of a day or two the eye completely shut after I started eye drops.

Has anyone seen something like this before and if so how did it turn out and how did you deal with it?

I read once it could be caused by eye irritation after dust baths from low quality dust. I switched to a brand of blue cloud that I was able to confirm is real blue cloud. Should I maybe stop giving her baths. I give her a bath about once a week.

The veterinary was able to rinse out the eye which opened it back up. I think maybe something was stuck in her eye now I am giving her eye drops and some anti-biotics and it looks like it is clearing up like normal.

Back