My new chinchilla was bitten, what do I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hi, last night my first chinchilla (Rocket) got out of his cage because I accidentally left the top door open. My second chinchilla (Bilbo) follows Rocket around from his cage during playtime; he seems to want to fight but I’m not positive. I’m guessing Rocket and Bilbo fought through the cage bars because Bilbo had a bite mark on his cheek. It’s red and looks like it bled. He keeps rubbing his nose with his hand, so it’s evidently bothering him. After seeing this I don’t think I’m ever going to try and introduce the two. What can I do to help Bilbo be more comfortable?

(I’m sorry the image isn’t too clear, it was difficult to take a picture of Bilbo since he wouldn’t stop moving. He has a red mark on his cheek) IMG_0134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, should I take him to the vet?

I would keep an eye on it, watch for any swelling or discharge, make sure he is eating and drinking ok. You don't want him to stop eating due to pain. Also if it's a puncture not just a scrap (can't really tell from the pic) you might need to take him to the vet to have it flushed out at the very least so it doesn't get infected.

He’s eating and playing normally, the only thing I noticed is him rubbing it. I managed to get a better picture too
IMG_0144.jpg

Is there anything I can clean it with? I’ve heard people talk about blu-kote.

Yes you can use some blu-kote on it, just try to use the liquid one and a q-tip not the spay kind and wear gloves, that stuff stains like crazy. You don't want to use the spray version on the face because you don't want to get it in the mouth, nose, or eyes.

Back