Barley grass hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can eat barley grass if you dry it into hay, but being a grain should be limited to a treat not a primary hay. Purple or red clover is safe for chins, once again you need to dry it before giving it to the chin, and should only be given in small amounts as a treat.

Hi, I received a Spring Medley Mix hay sample from Farmer Dave's and it contains Orchard Grass, pre-headed Timothy, Meadow Grass, a little bit of Wild Barley Grass, and a touch of pre-bud Clover. I do not know the percentage of the barley or clover.

Oh in that case it's probably fine if it's just a small amount mixed in. I thought you meant giving just plain barley or clover hay. I would feed that mix as a secondary hay though, so mostly timothy hay but with some of that hay given a few times a week.

The reason to limit it is, too much barley (grain) can cause gas, which can lead to bloat, and clover is high in protein and calcium, and too much of those can lead to bladder and kidney stones.

Last edited:
Back