Giant Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBB

What are some of the largest chinchillas you've seen or owned? I really like hefty chinchillas. Here are a couple of mine to get things started. A pink white female bred here she's not a year old yet and 800g. The second pic is a black velvet v/c bred here as well. She's around 1000g

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 84
My largest was a beige from Ryerson's. She topped out at 1250. I've also had several in the 1100 to 1200 range, one was a dark tan male and he was 1150, and many in the 1000 range. I love big squishy chins.

tunes and Snickers, you have some huge chinchillas! Bentley is a bit on the squishy side but not nearly as big, I love his squishy-ness too, lol.

I've never seen a chin that big, would love to see some photos.

My Diesel hovers around 1000g. My boy Smudge who I had to euthanize a couple of years ago due to malo was 1200 before his teeth issues started in and he lost a ton of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost 1200 gms in this picture, he had advanced elongation that reared its ugly head shortly after this pic.

My Diesel hovers around 1000g. My boy Smudge who I had to euthanize a couple of years ago due to malo was 1200 before his teeth issues started in and he lost a ton of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some big chins! Do you use Diesel for breeding? Sorry about the loss of your baby Smudge. So hard to lose a pet.

Oh, wanted to ask, is your avatar a hedgie?

Overweight chins will have bald spots and a lot of callusing on the feet. Plus when you pick them up you can tell there is a lot of fat there.

Attachments

• ElvisFatBaldSpots.jpg
    ElvisFatBaldSpots.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 21
My mosaic have 400 grams and 107 days. What will be the final size of it? Thanks.

What are some of the largest chinchillas you've seen or owned? I really like hefty chinchillas. Here are a couple of mine to get things started. A pink white female bred here she's not a year old yet and 800g. The second pic is a black velvet v/c bred here as well. She's around 1000g
Is it healthy for a Chin to be that heavy?

Weight doesn't determine the condition of the chin. When they have big bald spots and damage buildup on the paws Elvis did it is unhealthy. He got that way on regular pellets, his breeder did not feed hay. I suspect now that he may have had a thyroid issue. Here is an older video I did showing two large chinchillas, one that was underweight and the other a little too fat to get pregnant. You really can't tell from looking at them, you have to feel them. :)

Back