Calvin: October 2004-March 1, 2011

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunsetBeauty

Slave to Many
I lost my buddy Calvin today.

He was such a trooper. Back in December a lump appeared in the inside of his mouth on his upper jaw. I took him in to the vet and it confirmed that he a tumor with a secondary infection. We got him on some medicine for the infection and an herbal blend for the tumor. I switch him to a soft food mix since he could no longer eat hard kibble.

The infection went away and he was doing better. The tumor continued to grow and in the beginning of Feb., he underwent surgery to remove the dead tissue the tumor was leaving behind in its wake. It wasn't going to be cure, but I wanted to make him more comfortable. Calvin was suppose to spend the night in the hospital as the vet didn't think he'd be able to eat on his own after the surgery. But my baby surprised us all when the vet tech put down a little bit of (soft) food for him and he scarfed it down! He got to come with me that night - with pain meds, antibiotics and fluids.

He progressed wonderfully for the next few weeks. He ate a ton of food, took his meds like a champ. He gained 11 grams in last two weeks.

Then last week, the tumor began pushing on his eye and abraded his cornea. Back to the vet for some eye drops and ointment. Last night, he eye was almost back to normal. He was crawling around, eating great and everything. He spent an hour curled up in my arms snuggling. I put him to bed and this morning I woke up to find he had passed away during the night.

I miss him like crazy. I don't quite know what to do with myself since the last few months my days have revolved around feeding/medicating him from morning until night.

He was the best hedgehog in the world. Never quilled, even as a baby. Loved to be held and petted by just about everyone. Everybody at the vet's office loved him because he was such a good boy.

I miss his cold little nose against my hand. I miss him crawling into my shirt sleeve for a nap, his cute little face, petting his quills. I just miss him.

R.I.P Calvin. I'm glad your journey to the Rainbow bridge was quick. Things won't ever be the same without you. I love you so much. :heart3:

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful little guy. Wow, what a wonderful long hedgie life he lived and he passed at home in the comfort of his cage instead of needing the final trip and the vet.

I know how much you will miss him.

Hugs

Thanks everybody.

I'm still having such a hard time dealing with it. Yesterday Calvin's vet sent a condolence card with a very nice hand-written note. While I'm grateful for it, it did send me into another crying jag.

Nancy - that's probably the biggest comfort I have right now. I'm so glad he passed at home, sleeping in his hedgie bag (that wonderful "glitter" snowflake one you made :)). He had a full tummy of his favorite food mix with lots of snuggles and attention from me and my mom. I'm so glad he made the decision for me.

I am so sorry for your loss. But how special. With his Mommy, in his sack. after his favorite meal. What a special little hedgie!

Back