Moist poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I've had my chin since May and in the last day and a half I have noticed that his poop is more wet. It's not runny or diarrhea, but it's not the hard solid pellets that it usually is. I haven't changed his diet at all and he doesn't get treats. I feed him the fiesta mix pellets every day (2 tbs) and timothy hay once a day (at night). Is this something I should worry about or is there something I can give him/ change that would bring the poop back to normal?

Thanks!!

If you mean the kaytee fiesta mix food, that stuff is full of junk food "treats" and is terrible for chins. You want to be feeding a good quality pellet only food, chins should not have fruits, veggies, seeds, or nuts all of which are in that food. I would chuck that food and switch to something like Oxbow or Mazuri. There are other brands that are good too including some rabbit pellets.

Since that food is junk I would just cold switch, just make sure the chin has lots of hay. Or even feed only hay for a few days and then give the new pellets. Hay should be available at all times, it should make up roughly 70% or more of their diet. Hay is a very important source of fiber needed to properly digest their food, as well as needed to grind down their back teeth.

Omg I'm killing him!! Wow I really didn't even know this. I am going to go to the store and buy him a different food then. Thank you so much! Is there any other food I should give him to help him with the poop? I read somewhere that plain oats (like oatmeal with no flavor or anything) could help but i'm not really sure

Just make sure the food is either Mazuri or Oxbow - don't let the people at the pet store talk you into anything else. Make sure he has timothy hay (Oxbow is goo). In fact for at least one day give him only hay. That should clear up the softer poop.

Thank you guys so much! I picked up oxbow yesterday and only gave him hay yesterday and the day before and its much better! I'll give him the new pellets tomorrow :)

Back