Bedding question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newspapers are not a good choice for hedgehogs. In addition to the print (which is messy and potentially toxic), the paper does not absorb urine the way that hedgies need it to. It leaves hedgies cold and wet.

Many people use fleece as bedding. It's warm, absorbent, and you can clean it as needed.

I switched to carefresh because my hedgies started to linder dive and I was unable to stop them from doing it. They were dumping over their water and making a big mess in their cage when they would get water in their food bowl

Last night I put the C&C cage back together so I can use the liners. I tuck the extra fabric under the bottom coroplast and they can not dig it up. There is a coroplast wall dividing the cage in half so that there are not fights between Sonic & Sprinkles.

Last night I put the C&C cage back together so I can use the liners. I tuck the extra fabric under the bottom coroplast and they can not dig it up. There is a coroplast wall dividing the cage in half so that there are not fights between Sonic & Sprinkles.

Wahoo!!! Bet they're pleased with that move. No more carefresh in the water & food dishes. You can always leave a bit of it in a litter box if they are acting all deprived... I had one hedgie who loved to burrow through it, so I left a litter box of it for her. She never make messies in there... just played in it under the cover of darkness.

Make sure an interested and highly motivated hedgie cannot scale the wall to find a mate on the other side.

I have extra grids on top of the 8 inch wall that divides the cage in half. I spend the majority of the first night I had it up making sure sonic did not get over the wall. He knows how to get his paws just right to be able to flop is little butt over it. With me putting the grids on top of the wall he see the grid and doesnt even try to get over the wall.

I have extra grids on top of the 8 inch wall that divides the cage in half. I spend the majority of the first night I had it up making sure sonic did not get over the wall. He knows how to get his paws just right to be able to flop is little butt over it. With me putting the grids on top of the wall he see the grid and doesnt even try to get over the wall.

Sounds good. Would love to see a pic when you have a chance!

Sorry that the cages are messy I have not cleaned the cages yet today. I am going to do that after I lost these pictures. The front grids are tied together with fleece strips because I ran out of zip ties and some of the pannels are secured with twist ties. I know thats its not the greatest but they are staying on their sides of the cage.

Attachments

• 100_2650.jpg
    100_2650.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2651.jpg
    100_2651.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
your welcome. I thought that the Igloo takes up a lot of space in the cage so that is when my dad built me the hut. since it is a rectangle shape it give more room for Sprinkles to run and play at night. I am thinking about having my dad build me another one for Sonic and use this igloo as a spare hut. Right now I got 2 spare cages and a spare wheel. one of the spare cages can be divided into 2 cages it is a bin cage that is 2 110qt bins that connects with a pvc pipe that can be detached for saving space when it is not in use.

Back