Tail wagging--what does it mean?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElieSloth

Hello! My new chinchilla has been settling in well in the past week she has been here. She comes out to play and run all over my legs when I'm cleaning her cage. One strange thing she does is sit on her food bowl, squat down, waggle her tail, then she'll leap forward. She looks like shes playing around, but if it is a sign that shes agitated, I don't want to cause her any stress or upset her. Anyone know what the tail wagging is all about?

Thanks!

Tail Wagging - Your Chin Is Feeling....

Tail wagging is usually a sign of sexual excitement. Your chin just wants someone to have babies with! Its nothing to worry about, but if your chinchilla is more aggressive than usual or more excitable or just, in general, a little different, your chinnie might be going through puberty. This doesn't mean much, if he's a lone chinchilla, give him a cuddle buddy to vent on! If he's with another chinchilla, keep an eye out for aggressive behavior. :hug2:

Tail wagging is usually a sign of sexual excitement. Your chin just wants someone to have babies with! Its nothing to worry about, but if your chinchilla is more aggressive than usual or more excitable or just, in general, a little different, your chinnie might be going through puberty. This doesn't mean much, if he's a lone chinchilla, give him a cuddle buddy to vent on! If he's with another chinchilla, keep an eye out for aggressive behavior. :hug2:

Thank you for your input!

Haha yep, she might have found that the food bowl hits her in a good spot and gets her in a mood. My boy has that 'special relationship' with one of my blankets.

Back