Chinchilla Diagnosed with diabetes now loosing weight fast - HELP HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellepett

Hi There

I took my chinchilla to the vet yesterday as i noticed Elsa was loosing weight. She was 578grams at the beggining of april and is now 514, The vet done xrays, blood tests and urine sample and told me she was diabetic and had a blood glucose level of 14.3. Since then they gave me the recovery liquid feed to try and give her with syringe however she will not eat. I have weighed her food (science plus pellets) and she has had no food since yesterday also not touched the timothy hay, She has dropped 15 grams since yesterday. I took her to the vets tonight however they dont seem to really help. They havent told me how to increase her weight or if there is anything else i can do. Im pretty worried about her. She was injected with electrolytes tonight, and still wont eat.

Please can someone help me, she is only 1 year old (she has a sister however I have seperated them to monitor her food)

Im curious to what tests were done and the results as well. I had a chin that was partial or borderline diabetic as well. But it certainly never decreased his appetite. Im not sure if full diabetic would or not, but it has me wondering.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I remember reading on several UK-based breeder websites that breeders will use Beaphar Care + to help encourage chins to eat if they are unwilling to do so. It seems that there are very few chins who will refuse this food. It's an extruded crunchy pellet, and I don't know, but chins seem to love it. Mine definitely prefer it to any other food they've tried. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it delivered next day. But it's unfortunately a 5kg bag.

Hope you're able to get some food into her. :(

And I see nothing about any dental exam or x-rays? 1 year olds can have issues, I had one who was diagnosed with malocclusion at 11 months.

Back