Dental Spurs/X-Rays to Follow

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoffeeSweaters

I took both of my chinchillas in for a vet check up and they found small spurs on their molars. As a note, yes I have a female and a male. They do not live together, I will never breed them. Miley was supposed to be a boy, regardless, she was in a bad situation with humans before me and needed help.

Notes on Miley, my 2.5 year old (estimated age) : small dental spurs, worse right lower arcade

Notes on Emerson, my 4 year old male: small molar spurs on lower teeth. Ofloxacin to his left eye twice daily and during the radiographs today they are going to check to rule out tooth roots compression nasolacrimal duct.

----

I did not bring the chins in because I noticed any symptoms of pain or appetite decrease. In fact since the last check up 6 months ago, Miley has actually gained weight, 564g to 635g. I switched to small pet select hay and both of them are demolishing it (in a good way, lots of consumption, much less waste) and both get 2 tablespoons of pellets every day. Miley has been eating less of her pellets since I got the new bag but the timing coincided with a lot of people on the Let's Love Chinchillas group mentioning their chinchillas were also not as eager to eat the pellets. Emerson is still finishing all of his, there is some dust in the bowl but I never experienced anything other than some dust. There has not been an increase in this. He very occasionally grinds/chatters/clicks his teeth, a vet at one point told me that meant he was in pain, but I've also read that they do that to clean food off their teeth and various other reasons. He's been doing it for the last two years maybe more and I've taken him regularly to the vet and I have always mentioned it and they've never found anything to correlate. I know I'm rambling but I figure the more details the better. My main reason for posting is that I am hoping as soon as I get their radiographs that I may be able to post them here and those who know far more than me about reading the x-rays could look them over with me and figure out if he and/or Miley have malo or something else going on. I figured if I put this post out now, those who are informed would keep an eye out this evening when I am able to upload the photos. Hopefully sooner than that though.

I'll post updates as I have them in this thread. Thank you in advance!

Back