Not eating or drinking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppergurl

Hi everyone I took my chin to the vet because he was sneezing a lot they checked him out and he's got a chest infection... my little guy is on antibiotics and we are coming up on the 4th day now but I'm having issues trying to get him to eat or drink at all! The first two days he would eat a bit of critical care but not at all today... I have managed to hand feed him a few pellets and to get him to take a few sips of water but when he is chewing his breathing sounds way more laboured so I don't want to push it with him! I've read a few places that you can give them acidophilus wafers to help with an upset stomach caused by the anti biotics and pedialyte to help with dehydration but I want to know if anyone else has some suggestions or if they agree with the wafers And pedialyte? I just want to get him through all of this!

When a chin is sick they wont want to eat, also antibiotics tend to kill appetite so they don't feel like eating. You need to force feed him, if you are feeding Critical care you will need to get about at least 50 ml or more (50-100ml depending on his size and if he lost weight) in him a day spread over several feedings. He will likely not drink or drink much when eating CC since he is getting all the water he needs from the food.
Their is some good info and tips on this site http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/remedies/syringe-feeding.html it's talking about their brand of meal replacement but the tips on hand feeding, found by scrolling down the page, applies to CC too.

I do know those wafers or even some of those probiotic pills (broken open and sprinkled on food) work but someone else will have to chime in on how much to give. I also know you need to wait about a couple hours after and/or before giving the antibiotics so the antibiotics don't just kill all the good bacteria you are trying to add to his gut.

Back