Would my chinchilla like a companion?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Most chins that have been alone that long have a hard time adjusting to a cage mate. Even chins that have been together a long time can turn on each other, which I got the thrill of experiencing firsthand this weekend with a beat to heck chin. You can always try, but be super vigilant and have a second cage on hand at all times to separate them into if you have to.

I attempted to bond mine with another and he ended up hating him. There was clearly no way they could be caged together, even though the other was very sweet. As long as you're willing to house them separately if they don't get along, it's worth a shot.

If you are prepared for every scenario that might happen, even the worst, then you can go ahead and try it out. Definitely have a back up plan, though.

I have wrestled with this for a long long time. My Girl is 16 and I just could never get past the possibility of her getting stressed, bullied, or hurt by another chinchilla. I just try to shower her with attention and activities and make sure she has a great space to be in.

Back