Fall from 3 ft

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivi0692

Hello everyone. I need some advice.

I was going to put my chin back in her cage and as was standing up (I was sitting on the floor) she moved suddenly and jumped out of my hands. She landed on her side and quickly got up and continued running (She fell from 1 meter/ 3 ft high or maybe a little less). She looks normal, when I put her in the cage she walked and jumped. I put her dust bath and she rolled and bathe in it and everything was normal. I also gave her a treat and she ate it normally. She is now sleeping.

I will obviously be keeping an eye on her but should I be worried or am I just being too paranoid?

Did she fall or jump? Chins can easily jump 6 feet with no issue, but falling may be a different story. From what you describe it sounds as though everything is normal at this point, so just keep an eye on her, but most likely she's fine.

Same, though my concern is she landed on her side. The other day, the vet commented that he most often sees broken bones in the hind legs due to bad jumps. 3 ft really isn't high for a chinchilla if their jump was planned and they landed well unless the chinchilla never has the opportunity to do this or is older and has frailer bones.
Growing up, I had a chinchilla suffer a leg injury that I thought was a sprain and so I wrapped it in a nylon stocking and separated her (who was actually a him but I had missexed him at birth). Not saying I recommend this treatment option but it was the 90's and I was young.

If you're at all worried, limit the enclosure to a single level to give bone/muscle a chance to heal for a few days and/or take her in to a vet.

Back