Chinchilla Chewing on Hammock?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drooby

I just got a hammock from Petsmart for my chinchilla today during a quick trip. At first he wasn’t interested in it that much, but now it seems he’s trying to chew on it a lot. I have plenty of things in the cage for him to chew on but he seems more interested in chewing on the hammock now. The hammock is an $8 hammock by the Petsmart brand.

I’ve been looking at the hammock where he’s chewed on it but it doesn’t seem like he’s making any progress in it. I can’t find any bite marks or tears in the fabric. He doesn’t chew the fleece I have as a liner in the cage at all, so it confuses me as to why he is chewing this.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do about this? I know it can be dangerous if he ingests part of the hammock but it doesn’t seem like he’s doing much to it. I’m just not too sure if I should take it out of the cage or not since it’s one of the best places for him to climb.

I'm not sure what that hammock looks like, but I know most pet store ones are not really chin safe. It needs to be all regular fleece, no webbing edging or straps, and no fuzzy fake wool/fur "fleece". If it's all normal fleece with metal clips then it could just be the hammock ends up at mouth level, where as the liners don't. Since he hasn't actually done any damage to it I would just keep an eye on it, hopefully he will lose interest. If he does actually start tearing/chewing a hole though, you'll have to remove it.

Back