Rescue Advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBoris

How do you choose between your heart and what's right? We have had several hedgehogs die on us in our lives, and are still heartbroken.

Currently, we have the opportunity to obtain two different hedgehogs.

The first hedgehog is from a co-worker, who does not have the time to care for her. He purchased her several months ago, and I've been giving him and his wife tips/advice on taking care of her. They have agreed to let us meet her, and take her to the vet for a full check-up. With this hedgehog, we know her history/health, and can be confident (or as confident as anyone can be with a living being) that she will be healthy for a long time.

The second hedgehog is a hedgehog that is at the humane society. She recently came in, but is extremely shy (she hisses/balls, and bites). Her estimated age is about a year. Her previous owner had her for three months but gave her up because she doesn't have the time for her and doesn't know how to take care of her. The vet has given a quick check, as she would not un-ball. Our concerns about getting her is that we are not fully sure of her age (we want to have a lot of time with our hedgehog) and she has had low appetite and did not urinate for one of the days she was in the shelter. We know this could be because she is scared and in an unfamiliar situation, but we are also concerned that this could be medical. We were especially concerned when we were spending time with her, and she would not eat the meal worms provided (she did eat one or two, and they were freeze dried). The woman assured us that she would most likely not be euthanized (they only do that to dogs/cats that are un-adoptable because of a threat to humans/themselves), but she did indicate that her price has been discounted and that she would most likely go from satellite to satellite location. I do not want her to go to a home in which she will be returned, or spend the rest of her days going from location to location. I also do not want to break our hearts if she does have an underlying medical condition (or is much older than what is believed) and only lives shortly.

From my post, I realize that I sound selfish, but I also live with someone who cannot handle a loss of a hedgehog so quickly. I also realize that we do not want two hedgehogs at one time.

I am thinking of visiting her in the humane society today. I'd like to buy her a new wheel, some live meal worms, and some prepared toilet paper tubes. I have put on an old t-shirt (although it's clean), hoping that just a little bit of time wearing it will be enough to make blankets out of it so she knows that someone cares about her.

I know this could be crazy, but if you have the financial means and the space and dedication, why not adopt them both? Give them both a good home. But I'm sure you'll choose whats right for you :)

Back