Spay/Neuter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I was wondering for those who've had their pets spayed/neutered, how much did/does it cost?

If you don't care, please post how much it cost to have your pet spayed/neutered, state which (spay/neuter), if it was a dog or a cat, and your state.

Thank you!

So Ca
$150.00 ea for neutering a chin (last one maybe 2 yrs ago). The prices seemed
to be the same all the time.
$ 50.00 ea spaying kittens (3 yrs ago)
$125.00 spaying a puppy (2005)

Spay/neuter prices can vary widely. The prices are also dependent on if pre-anesthetic blood work is required, if pain meds are sent home, if IV fluids are used, etc.

California:
Spay: $114 with e-collar no pain meds.
Neuters: $60 no e-collar no pain meds.
$100 no e-collar no pain meds.

Theses were at clinics, not animal hospitals.

ETA: These were for dogs under 10lbs. at 6 months old.
The prices included everything for the surgery and we chose not to do blood work.

Western NY:

Spay and rabies/distemper shots, 1 year old cat: $140 (no post-op pain management, no antibiotics, 3 weeks recovery time, huge scar, and further complications). "Low Cost" clinic? Wasn't worth it.

Exploratory RESPAY because the vet that did ^that forgot an ovary: $350 with bloodwork, post op antibiotics and pain meds, and dissolving stitches.

Neuter: $175 w/ pre-op blood work, post-op antibiotics and pain meds, and dissolving stitches.

I like to have bloodwork done at least once pre-op to get a level on record to keep track of kidney values down the road, and it makes anesthesia easier for the vets in case, like the exploratory spay, they might be out for longer than the standard 45 min.

Most of the low cost places will admit they loose pets regularly, at least the ones in my area. They don't view them as pets but just 1 more animal to stop reproducing so if they loose 1 or 2 out of every 50.... oh well. And that is exactly what I was told! I would pay the difference and go to a vet. I can't imagine having a spay and not doing at home pain meds! That's not exactly minor surgery. A cast is small enough that injectable the day of would be fine. I would watch mass clinics and low cost places.... there is a big difference in quality and that does reflect on the price.

I'm not looking for difference in low cost and vet. I'm writing a paper on Spay and Neuter for class and from experience of reading others post online about having a pet fixed it seems to always be cheaper than what my vet charges, which lead e to believe itmust depend on the area.

I went back and looked at my post. We did get pain meds for the spay, but not for the neuters. For the neuters we gave baby aspirin per the vet's instructions on dosage.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for difference in low cost and vet. I'm writing a paper on Spay and Neuter for class and from experience of reading others post online about having a pet fixed it seems to always be cheaper than what my vet charges, which lead e to believe itmust depend on the area.

That is true to an extent. We got quotes from around the area and for hospitals the spay would have cost $500-600 and the neuter $300-400. But for clinics that specialize in spay/neuters and other more minor surgeries (i.e. teeth cleaning) the prices drop dramatically. The prices vary so much depending on the place you go to it seems.

$80.00 spay/kitten under 1 at the time. Same day pick up and no pain meds. The cat was about 2 years ago.
$100.00 spay/dog under 20lbs. No pain meds. They did a heart worm test which was included. Also same day pick up. She was done about 5 years ago.
This was a vets office. We live in south east missouri. Most people around here dont think of them as your babies, just another animal.

I don't remember how much it cost us to have all our dogs and cats spayed/neutered, I was a teenager and not really interested in finances :p

But I do know for anyone that would like to have their dog or cat fixed but is worried about money problems, there are some organizations I've heard of that will help pay for the costs, simply to keep down the number of animals in shelters. I'm not too sure of the process, I'm sure you have to show your income or something.

Back