Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolyphinm View Post
And Amphy, not everyone who shows in the US is showing to pelt. Most are actually just hobby breeders breeding for good quality pet chins and just overall improving chinchillas.
Oh, I know, of course. Just mentioned it since there was some discussion in the topic about how shows (here in the UK, as well, of course) are judged to a pelt standard, and so therefore there isn't at present an obvious place for new fur varieties like the Locken - they'd have to be judged similarly in terms of size and conformation, I think, but a new standard, not based on the pelts, would have to be worked out for judging the curly fur, which may take a while.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 PM United States
hmmmmmmm

Chinchillas: 200

If Jim is breeding them they must have potential. Laurie said the ones they are working with now are all closely related and the ones that will be available soon are all brothers and sisters. I don't think I would consider getting into them until they have improved greatly and I have not seen them in person. The sapphires are challenging as it is, but Jim has really made great strides in improving them. He said the quality and size has really improved now, so he is the perfect breeder for the curlies. I do think the shows need to evolve to get others interested and to keep them going. I would really like to see a category for beautiful heads or extreme patterns, just to have something for everyone. I think as the chinchilla becomes more and more popular as a pet that the chinchilla fur industry will phase out in the US. The ranchers are who bred the quality into the chins we have today and those standards should still be used to keep that quality. I also think that we need to be more "open" to new ideas with the show to make them more welcoming/fun/educational to newcomers. I am going to challenge myself to become more involved and to help out at the shows. I know many of the same people continually do all the work setting them up and taking them down afterward. I think they are very important and want to see them continue. Sorry, got a little off topic...
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM United States

Since these are avaliable in the USA now, what market are they being sold to? These are not being pelted I assume?

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM United States
Hendryx Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50+

There are breaders out there that will throw anything and everything together if they think they can make a buck on the pet market by advertising something new, exotic, rare or different. I have a few ideas as to where the market will be for them. Lol
Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM United States
RAF Chins

Chinchillas: 42

That's about it too...there's no pelt market...there's no show "market"...so I guess pretty much to pet owners wanting the latest and "greatest" and therefore, to breeders wanting to profit from such.

'Quality Chinchillas, of Good Temperament'
Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM United States

A pet owner who pays upwards of a 1000.00 for one needs to have their head examined for brains and lack thereof.

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM United States
Hendryx Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50+

Sometimes I really wish this website had a "Like" button!

Dawn it's not just the pet owners that need their heads examined. Lol
Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM United States

Chinchillas: 9
Hedgehogs: 16

At their prices I would think the market would be to other breeders that want to work with a new mutation. Really all the mutations, even the common colors, were once rare, overpriced, and possibly inferior animals. It's the work of multiple breeders who like the mutations that make it in to something with more quality and it's the breeding of many animals even if some go to the pet market that makes the mutation accessible to more breeders for more breeding plans on improving their quality.

I don't know about chin shows because there are none in my area but the rabbit association is constantly making new show standards for new colors of a breed and on very rare occasion a new breed. To work toward getting a show standard made for your variety in rabbits you have to first have a COD (certificate of development) approved by the ARBA using your proposed standard. Then so many individuals have to show so many rabbits of the new variety at nationals to keep the COD active. Finally if enough rabbits of high enough quality are shown for x years in a row they are fully approved as a new variety. It takes many breeders working hard for 20, 40, or even more years to go from a new weak mutation to a new quality variety and the prices for each new variety even if it's something very simple like a new white marking is usually rather insane at first.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM United States

Sounds like a ponzi scheme, those breeders who first start out selling them will make the profit, as the breeding gets further away from the frenzie of the start, there will be no more breeders who want to work with a 1000.00 mutation.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 PM United States
Jax Chinchilla Rescue

Chinchillas: 4+R

The only thing I can say is, I've seen them in real life and just think they are ugly.