Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1
Default Getting off CC/EFL

Hello,

I've read most of the posts in the archives about getting a chinchilla to transition from critical care back to pellets/hay but am still at a loss.

If my chinchilla will take a sliver of shredded wheat or other hard treat, do I assume he can eat on his own? and I can keep reducing the soft food mixes?

This week I am mixing up 1 teaspoon of EFL in the AM and late afternoon on a small plate. It's probably only 15ml of water added per feeding. I also give him a smaller amount later in the evening. He's not losing weight but he is holding out despite gradual reductions over the past week or two. He started drinking water out of a small bowl (finally!) once I started this.

Oddly enough, I bought a new type of pellets (Sherwood) 2 weeks ago and he went right for it immediately. Was the first pellet he ate in ~45 days. He was also nibbling on some hay a few nights but that all stopped after what I assumed was residual dental pain overnight. But who knows.

Do I need to just accept he's going to be hungry and let him lose some weight?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 AM

you could try mixing a few pellets in with the cc/efl blend. If you put a few drops of warm water on the pellets they will mush up. Then gradually use more pellets less cc/efl in the mix.Worth a try.