Sister left me after 7 years, will I be ok?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pederoni

Hi, new to forum but have read loads on the site over the years!

I've got a beautiful 7 and a half year old male chin called Pedro (or Pederoni as I like to sing at him!). He was rehomed with his sister by me as kits through a lady I used to work with. So have been with me since Oct 1st 2010.

They were both supposed to be males but hadn't been sexed correctly and it turned out his brother Pablo was actually a sister called Poppy! I noticed although my first chins so thankfully were separated pretty quickly! Pedro went on to be neutered and although it took a while they got back together and have always been happy cage mates. Sleep together constantly and if ones doing something the others not far behind!
Poppy's always been the boss though, definitely deciding stuff and telling him off which he's never done much to her!! He's always been more people friendly, liking lots of belly rubs and to groom my face, then try and pinch my glasses!

Poppy had tooth problems for over 4 years, has done really well until a few months ago when you could see becoming miserable. Had a dental 5 weeks ago and another tooth had become wobbly and had to come out, her second in 3months.
Had to make the horrible decision on Friday 2nd to put her to sleep. Really not enjoying life anymore, she'd been on highest dose of pain relief and still not coping well. Absolutely heartbreaking but the right thing to do (do keep questioning myself of course!).

Pedro seems to be doing ok, giving him lots of extra love and got a new batch of chewy things coming in the post! But did spend all of Friday looking for her!
I'm just wondering what other people that have been through similar things think?! At his age would he appreciate a bit of peace for a while after being told off from his sister for years?! Or is it likely he'll get depressed and like a friend?

I know every chin is very different but as these are the only chins I've had and would just appreciate a bit of advice! Thanks!

It varies from chin to chin. I've had chins lose cage mates who go through a profound grieving period and others that don't seem to notice. Keep an eye on him, make sure he is doing all his normal things (eating, drinking, pooping). Spend some extra time with him and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for reply.
Yes will be keeping a close on him and will be getting even more spoilt than usual!
He's having a run on his wheel and watching TV in between so doesn't appear too miserable at the moment!
I made him a Fuzzbuddy last night despite my terrible sewing skills so he's also been throwing that around and using it as a trampoline!

I just lost both of my Chinchillas within 2 weeks of each other. Squirt died of a GI track infection on Jan 17, 2018. And then My Coal just died on Feb 2, 2018. Coal had and enlarged heart and was on meds for it but then caught streptococcus/MRSA and was on cipro and I stopped that med cause it sent him down hill even more, and he was actually doing better until Squirt died, when on the 2nd he died in the vets office while being x-rayed. The vet said that his heart just gave out. So we are saying that he died of a broken heart (the boys have been cage mates for 9 years).

How horrible for you, I'm so sorry.
Knowing how attached and in love with mine I am can imagine not a good time for you at the moment :(

They're such amazing and clever beasties. I've been lost without my girl the last few days, you get so used to them being around and a shock when they're suddenly gone. Especially when they've been unwell and you're giving meds and doing loads with them, seems incredibly quiet and strange!

Looks like it's not been a good couple of weeks for us both!! Sorry again for your loss, hope you're ok.

Back