should I adopt?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skoliver

I have the opportunity to adopt a Chinchilla from a coworker who no longer has the time to take care of him. The poor guy has been through three homes, mine will be his fourth including some with small children who mishandled him. All I have to go by is what I have been told about him. I have no idea of his age, he tends to bite new people but has never drawn blood, and that's pretty much it. I really want to adopt him and give him a good, permanent home but don't want to get stuck with a Chin I can't at least pet. I know it will take commitment and patience and I will most likely never get to hold him.

If you are willing to have put the time in and have patience to let him learn to trust again it can be worth it. However since he was mistreated by kids, if you have young kids or teenagers that don't understand boundaries it likely wont work out. It really depends on the chin and how badly he was treated, some can bounce back with gentle care and handling after a few months, others it can take years. It generally takes at least as long to recover and trust again as they were abused/mistreated.

If you can, go meet him and see how you feel about him then. Every chin is different so it's hard to say how his personality is without meeting him in person.

I think that there's nothing wrong if you will adopt this poor baby for as long as you have some time on taking good care of him.

Ahhhhh I just found put he's being fed rabbit food and treats as his entire diet. No hay, never being given dust baths. The owner won't give him to me until I get a new cage but I dont have the money right now and there's no used ones in my area.

Quick update, I did adopt him and am a proud chin owner. I made a makeshift but spacious cage out of a bookshelf but recently got him a proper cage. His name is Zola and he is a bit of a diva but with lots of patience and love he is slowly starting to bond with me. My only problem is I'm trying to get him to eat less pellets and more timothy hay but he throws his hay out of his cage and onto the floor in protest.:laughitup:

Back