No electricity in cold weather

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puding_chomeur

Hi!
I lived in canada so it's pretty cold out here. Unfortunately, I don't have electricity since yesterday due to a ice storm. My house is gatting more and more cold and i'm scared for my chin... Can chinchilla live under 0°c?

It depends on how much under 0C. Chins are good to about -10C, so long as you keep their water thawed, but not for more then a couple days. I knew a breeder who's herd was fine for around a week in -5C temps (due to an ice storm), they were just more active to generate body heat.

You can try wrapping the cage in fleece blankets if you have them to try to keep any warmth inside the cage and if you use shavings for bedding you can add extra shavings in the cage so it can keep warmer. Also if your chin will let you you can try cuddling with it in a blanket or shirt to warm it up from time to time.

If you leave to find a warmer place to stay you should bring your chin with you unless you will be back to check on it several times a day.

You'll also want to be sure that they are in the least drafty area of your house and you might want to consider putting a blanket or something under their cage. A lot of cold comes from a cold cage bottom.

Back