Playpen high enough?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisse

Hello,

Since I am moving to a new dorm where I don't have a chinproof room, I am planning on making a playpen out of thick cardboard pannels as others seem to have great succes with this and it is very cost effective. The pen would be made out of multiple cardboard panels that have been taped together (the kind of tape with string in), by taping it together in this way I could ealsily fold it when not in use and also "close" the pen by using velcro. Each panel would be 116cm (45,6") high and 96cm (37,7") wide. I'm not sure how many panels I will use yet but if I order 20 panels the cost is only 15 euros. But my worry is that my chins would still be able to jump over it and get into trouble. And I am scared they will crawl behind my shower, and there is a hole in the floor behind it that I can't reach so I am unable to cover it up (It is a really old building.) Would 116cm be high enough? Or should I paste another panel to my wall above the pen where my shower is?

Chins can jump 5 feet, 152cm, but not all realize they can. I've used fencing in the past that was only 2 ft high (60cm), without issues, but they were in a closed room (not chinproof but no holes or anywhere they could get to that I couldn't get them), and more importantly they didn't have any interest in escaping the penned in area. Since you are needing it to be chinproof, possible accidental escape is not an option, I would go with making it two panels high if you can just to be safe, or at least a panel and a half high if you can.

Back