The male chinchillas rapping each other

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys so I was just wondering if anyone might know why my two male chins are trying to rape each other. Yes I have females but this has been going on way before I got them. I am constantly whipping the room down and vacuuming even scrubbing the carpet and giving them fresh dust to try and confuse their little noses. Some times they get aggressive and I stay in the room till they finally stop(usually after I give them a snack) but every time I let them out and they start to Chrip that I’m a happy chinchilla nosie they start trying to rape each other!!! Poor guys!! Please help me if you have any information!

First of all are the males caged together? If so I would keep an eye on them is as you say they get aggressive. Chins can and sometimes do fight to the death, and if you have females around that would give them a reason to fight, especially any time the females go into heat. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with washing the room and changing the dust bath. What smell are you trying to confuse them about? The females give off scent when in heat, so unless they are isolated in a different part of your house and you wash between handling them, the males will be able to smell them.

Second, I doubt they are trying to rape each other, chins will mount and hump each other to assert dominance. It has nothing to do with actually trying to mate, they are just trying to work out who is boss. Like I said though, keep an eye on it, dominance mounting can quickly turn in to a fight if the one being humped gets mad. If it gets to the point of slipped fur, excessive chasing around, or worse, blood is actually drawn, I would separate them and keep them separate or they could very likely seriously injure or kill each other.

Back