Mom huddles in corner of cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

My chin recently gave birth to two kits. She seems very loving to both of them. I've found her to sometimes huddle herself in the corner of the cage as if she's denying them milk for a bit to let her sleep.

I've been thinking of hand feeding them with goats milk or separating them from the mom for a bit to all her to sleep.

But I just wanted a little advice before I take action.

Before intervention with mom and babies you simply need to do weight checks daily. The only way to make sure mom's milk is enough is by monitoring the kits weight precisely and preferably with a gram scale. Those found at local big box grocery stores in the food prep section would work well. I put my chin in a bowl then weigh the bowl since none of my guys will be still for more than two seconds! LOL! Then post the weights here and I am sure some of the more experienced folks can let you know if the babies are on track. Hand feeding babies putting them at a high risk of aspiration pneumonia, death so you don't want to do that without knowing for sure that there's a problem

When I weighed them the first time, they were at 50/60. Today is day 2, and they seem to be at the same weight.

I bought some goat milk in preparation if I need to step in and hand feed them.

I'm just curious if I should separate the kits for a bit, like 30 minutes, to allow the mom to rest.

I came home tonight and she was keeping one warm while the other was off exploring the small cage.

Back