Possible Miscarriage - Found Blood in Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a while back in Chin Anatomy & Behavior about my two chins - one male and one female who I was told was spayed. However, I started to doubt once my male started mounting her and attempting to mate. I decided to keep them together and keep an eye on them. But two nights ago, I walked in and found spatters of blood in the cage and it was bright red. I examined my chins and found my female to be bleeding out of the vagina, a bit swollen, and with a clear discharge. So far, everything I've read says that it points to a miscarriage. My male had blood underneath him and I caught him trying to mate with her again! So, I cleaned them up the best I could and separated them. I'm currently living in Germany and brought them over with me from the states so a vet is not instantly available. The soonest I'd probably be able to take them is Friday. Both of my chins are acting completely normal. I checked my girl yesterday and today - the swelling and bleeding is gone. My plan is to get them examined and keep them separated for good, possibly finding a good home for my male.

Is there any advice in this situation? What is the process like to separate a bonded pair who has been together for 7+ months? Does it also seem like a miscarriage to you? Is there anything else I can do? :broken:

Chinchillas are practically never spayed so I imagine you were lied to. I hope you've been to the vet.

Back