violent seizures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elderlychins

Hello all,

I have two older chins, roughly about 15-17, they are adopted so I am uncertain of the actual age. They are a male and a female.

The male had experienced a seizure 4 years ago, a pretty mild one no real shaking he just kind of was laying down strongly and had shallow breathing but recovered fully within the hour.

Today he experienced a rather violent seizure at around 7:30 and has been having seizures of varying severity, a few an hour since then, it is now 12:20.

He has been lying on his side with shallow breathing since it started.

He has the same diet and environment as the female and she is acting 100% normal so I don't think it is something like that.

Is he just an old fella and his time is up? is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

If anyone has any insights I would greatly appreciate it.

I know you posted this 5 days ago, but how is your chinchilla? Please take him to a vet if you have not already.

Low blood sugar can cause seizures. If he is older, he might not be absorbing nutrients as well as he should even if his appetite is strong. Don't throw in the towel before having him checked by a vet.

Best of luck.

Back