How to tell the age of a chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It varies from chin to chin, and they all have different sizes as adults. The only way to have an accurate age on a chin is to get it from the breeder.

you might be able to give an average on a chin up to yr old if your familiar with them. But theirs no way to be exact if you don't no the date of their birth.

My First guy i took in was already fully grown. I have absolutely no idea how old he relay is.

I think chinchillas are an adult by year 2 or 3? I think my chinchilla, Baby X, is about three or four now, born a week before or after Christmas 2009 or 2010 and I got in him Feburary. I have such a bad time with keeping up with time xDDD! But he still has a really baby face! Big eyes, a face/head like he's still about 1 years old, and childish attitude.

My mom's, Shadow, is about four or five. We had no idea when he was born, but he looks so much older and wiser than X. His eyes are smaller and he has a more mature looking face/head. But he and X both look like they're around the same size, especially when they're spread out. Maybe 12 inches long average or so?

Ashly said it. However if you have one that puts on a growth spurt say, his/her chest widens, or just gets thicker all-around it's safe to say they are less than 6 years old.

Chins, and ebonies/females in particular continue to gain size until they are around 6 in the lines I'm working with. The others stop around 3-4 years.

Came into this hoping that maybe there would be an answer, my chin was a rescue and I have no idea how old she is. Guess they are like rabbits, you can't really tell. Kind of a bummer.

A way to estimate is by asking whoever you got them from to see if they know what age they had them at the time up to when you bought them. From then you could possibly be like, if they say 6 months then there 12 years old (chinchilla age) if they had it for a year then there around 17 years old (chinchilla age.) Ect.. Or you could give them a birthday the day you got them and judge from there.

Back