Pee stains on fur on feet and tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoeblie

Hi,

There's pee stains on my chinchillas feet and tail from walking over their puddles. The fur is yellowish brown. It looks pretty disgusting and I'm wondering how I can clean it up. Thanks : )

You can add about a table spoon of corn starch to the dust bath. It will take time but the pee stains should lighten. On the feet, since there is no fur, you can use unscented organic baby wipes.

You also need to find a way to solve the sitting in pee problem. What kind of bedding are you using? If you are using shavings you may need to at least spot clean more often. If you are using fleece you need to make sure it's absorbent, don't wash it with detergent or fabric softener, it needs to be thick enough, and change it often. If the problem is peeing on shelves you will need to scrub the shelves or replace them. Like most animals they will keep peeing somewhere that they smell pee already.

Thanks, I'll do that.

It's just for the time being, where Nike is in the single level cage while his leg heals. In the big cage, they usually pee on the up and down ramps and I scrub everything weekly. Here in the single level, he just kind of goes wherever. I'm cleaning the single level at morning and night, and whenever I see puddles... but I can't get to them when I'm asleep so sometimes it ends up on his tail and feet.

Back