Plastic, Crossbar or Too Small Wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinAndShep

Hey,

Here in England its a bit hard to get a metal wheel that's a good size, and I think its the same with some othef countries. So I'm wondering, if you really had to get an exercise wheel for your chinchilla(s), would you choose a plastic, crossbar or a wheel that's too small (10 inch+)?

I personally would choose one that's a bit too small as plastic can be dangerous if digested and a chin could break their legs or tail on a crossbar one, so if it is a bit too small then while it would make it a bit difficult to run on they wouldn't really get hurt physically. I made this choice today because I've planned a space for a wheel but I couldn't find a suitable one, and I've just seen some 11 inch metal wheels on ebay.

What do you think?

Maybe, only if you have a small chin. And it doesn't have a spoke in the middle that comes out. Consider chin anatomy and how it will fit in the wheel. If the wheel is small the chin has to arch it's back as it runs which like the others can hurt the chin physically.

They sell good wheel on ebay here and I think they do international shipping though that means of course it is more expensive. But so are chinchillas and vet bills. Consider the chin spin, silver surfer or similar wheels. Or some homemade ones on ebay.

You see it has to be in the UK or we can't get it, there aren't any of those wheels here and the wheel I ordered is the only one that is metal on ebay, I was just generally asking for an opinion on which one would you choose out of the three :)

There are online stores that ship internationally, the flying saucer store I know for a fact does. Also Quality Cages who sell the chin spin and flying saucer ship worldwide. There is also a wheel thing similar to the flying saucer that is on the UK amazon site... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I8KX1NM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You're better off with no wheel then any of the ones you mentioned, plastic can be eaten and even if not the friction of the wheel causes plastic dust partials that are inhaled. A wheel with a metal bar can decapitate a chin (yes it has happened), or at least break their neck, and/or tail or leg since chins like to jump off the wheel while it's still moving. A wheel that is too small (smaller then 14 inches) will bend their back the wrong way, a chin's spin is shaped like a hump so bending backwards can cause back injury that can lead to, worse case, a paralyzed chin or one with arthritis in it's back over time. So yes a wheel that is too small will hurt the chin physically.

It's not really about if they ship internationally or not its just the fact that my parents wouldn't get it it's how they are, and the saucer is waaay too expensive my cage cost around that price, not paying more than £20 because its just not worth it paying more. I've looked at dog bowls that I could turn into a wheel but they are all too small, I'm guessing I'm staying without a wheel but I'm worried they'll get bored.

The expense of a proper wheel is worth it. I have paid a lot for wheels as shipping and duty are insane to Canada even. Save up for it and get a proper wheel. They last a lifetime.

Yeah, I guess if your parents wont buy anything online (other then ebay?) then you are pretty much out of luck no matter where in the world you live, I don't know of any physical pet stores that sell proper wheels. Also any chin safe wheel is going to cost more then 20 pounds, lol, you get what you pay for though since some can outlast your chin (which is saying something since they can live 20 years!). You could try looking in classifieds for used wheels, you might get lucky and find one for that cheap.
There is the option of making your own using a feed pan, there is instructions, here if you scroll down to the homemade wheel and click on the link. I have no idea what it costs to make though.
The chins I had growing up never had wheels, and most breeders don't use wheels so I think your chins will be fine so long as they get plenty of toys and some out of cage playtime. It's like giving a kid a swing set, if they have other things to do and play with they won't be bored without it.

In my opinion, Yuki would just have to do with lots of extra playtime rather than me risking his health with a wheel that isnt chin safe.

I agree. They would be safer without a wheel than with an unsafe one. Do not use a wheel under 12 inches. Preferably larger (14 inches) if possible. Plastic anything should be avoided. If price is an issue i would wait and save up. There is no replacing a good wheel. Talk to your parents about shipping.

I think I rather keep without a wheel as I can't pay shipping and my parents won't either and I don't have enough money to invest in an expensive wheel, and it will probably keep that way for the next few years so there isn't much point. I really do get worried they will get bored without a wheel, they will get an hour of playtime a day and have plenty of shelves, other toys, a hammock and I think I am going to make a swing (a shelf hanging down on springs) for them but I'm still worried.

They'll be Ok without a wheel. I imported one, but it doesn't fit in Henry's current cage without a lot of shelf rearrangement (will in his new one, though), so for now it's just a toy for playtime (as it's attached to the outside of the cage). Just make sure they have plenty of chew toys.

Chins are expensive anyway, though, so it might be worth saving up for a wheel. Maybe you could look for other people in the UK who want one, and see if arranging to do a joint order would work out cheaper, splitting shipping and customs costs (I might consider it, wouldn't mind another wheel, though that'd probably be Christmas rather than right now, even if I don't get more chinnies I could always sell it). Or, if you find a private seller, they might not mind marking the package as a gift, so you avoid customs at least.

You could also maybe get a playpen - I use mine so Henry can have more playtime, without me having to supervise quite as closely (do still keep an eye on him, though).

i agree. if you cant get a proper wheel, dont get one at all. your chins wont get bored. one of my cages doesnt have a wheel and they are just fine.

it sounds like you have other things in the cage to keep them occupied. but the swing on a spring concerns me a little...?

I had a plastic wheel with my first chin many many years ago, I learned fast that aside from ingesting plastic, they also destroy the wheel. 15$ for a wheel that lasts one month before it is busted is more expensive than 80$ for one that lasts 20+years.

I'd go with none over a bad one as mentioned above by others. Esp if you have a large cage, just make lots of room to bounce around (mine love jumping from ledge to ledge ect). Slowly save up money you get hear and there and keep an eye on your local classifieds for a used one.

Back