Bought some stuff today!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight4Light

So my tax refund came in last night! Yippee! It means I'm getting my hedgehog, I'm going to go next Friday (the 14th) to get it (sadly my only day off work since another manager quit last minute and I got shoved with all her work, otherwise I would be going today if I could lol).

But I was out today and found a really good food, actually pretty cheap from Petsmart, it's their brand called Authority. This is what the bag looks like:
NN0oaqa.jpg

Its low fat for mature cats, here is the crude analysis:
3hHLoFm.jpg

If you can't read it 33% protein, 10-13% fat, and 5% fiber. It's also packed with vitamins. There is no dye, no preservatives, and no fillers. Chicken is the first ingredient. From what I read in the Diet Basics sticky in the sidebar, this should be perfect. AND only $12 for an 8 pound bag! Plus the best part is that it's petsmarts brand so it's not going anywhere. While there I was going to buy Blue but every Blue product in the cat section was "reduced to clear"! Very nice prices but I didn't want to start my hedgie on a diet that I knew would need to be changed.

I also got the hedgie a little toy and some treats
eGODWbz.jpg

It's a little ball zebra, soft and squishy and goes with the purple color scheme. I have a lot of little jingly/rattly/crunchy cat balls as well and enough toilet paper tubes to satisfy Martha Stewart. The treat is a medley of freeze-dried insects, if you can't read it, it says its a mixture of crickets, grass hoppers, and meal worms.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed my mini haul. I can't wait for friday! Though I gotta make it quick friday or I think my fiance might strangle me, since it is Valentine's Day after all.

Sounds like excitement is definitely brewing in your home!

A couple things to keep in mind for when your little one comes home:
It'll be a big transition for hedgie... going from everything s/he knows to be true to a completely different world with new sights and smells and routines, etc. Do your best to help keep things fairly consistent for him/her. Make sure you ask the breeder/former owner what food s/he's been eating so that you can have some of that at home in order to wean hedgie off the old and on to the new over the course of a couple weeks. And, if the old food is a good (nutritious) food, it can become a part of a good mix. You should aim for at least 2 different kinds of kibble as part of hedgie's normal food.

Go easy on the freeze-dried stuff in general. It can cause issues on its own. And, if it's new to hedgie, hold off on giving any in the first week to let hedgie feel acclimated before trying something new.

You'll have to keep us posted on hedgie's homecoming! So very exciting to have a new little quillbundle of joy :)

Thank you! Yeah I know they are like dogs and cats with food. When I find out the food it's been eating I will buy a small bag so I can mix in. The freeze dried are just treats. Thank you for your help. Definitely want to do right by my little hair brush.

Back