Bedding Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyDee

Miss Kay Rocks!
I'm using corncob bedding right now, and I think it's ok, but I'm hearing I need to use paper. Which one is best for my Miss Kay?

Most people use fleece as a cage liner. It is soft, not messy and washable. If your hedgie is a digger you can make a digging box out of a kleenex box with cut up fleece. I don't know anything about corncob bedding or paper. Unless you mean paper towels which I use under Quinn's wheel which is where he goes to the bathroom.

Also, :needpics:

I'd also recommend using fleece as bedding. Soft, warm, absorbent... The problems with particulate matter (like shavings, carefresh, etc...) is it can be dusty and has a tendency to travel all over the house. And, since there are all those pieces, it tends to hide poops, pee, and blood. Fleece helps you detect changes in potty habits and noticing blood.
Paper towels are great for the litter bin. But not good for the whole cage.

Can I buy fleece bedding, (I'm seeing a lot of cute stuff), or do I have to make it? I have no talent at sewing stuff!

You can definitely buy fleece liners from folks on the boards... I have two from Camphor Chins (http://www.camphorchins.com/) and several from Quills n Things (http://quillsnthings.webs.com/) that are holding up well.

Or you can just go to a fabric store, get something you like and cut it to size. What's great about fleece is that it doesn't unravel, so you can just cut and you're done! ... Well... wash it too so you know it's hedgie-safe... But, really, it's nice and easy. And if you screw up on the cutting and it's too small, then you have snuggle blankies and wheel mats!

I figured out how to make fleece liners! I'm so stupidly proud of myself, and you can tell Miss Kay loves it! Thanks for the idea :)

Back