Bonding issues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinJinx

I have a new male chin named Milo. Up until yesterday he was relatively friendly considering how new he is (I had him for 3 weeks) but just yesterday he randomly got super scared of me and started to run away from my hand. I never picked him up or scared him in anyway. This upsets me alot since we had made so much progress and all of that was taken away. Can anyone suggest what to do? Does anyone know how this could have happened?

First how old is he? Chins go through puberty starting around 4-6 months and they can have real personality changes.

Also has anything happened recently? New noises, like dogs barking, people yelling, machinery, ect. New cage location or new people? Have you changed the shampoo, soap, perfume/cologne, lotion, etc that you normally use? Chins can be sensitive to smells. Also is there anyone else in your house that may have done something to the chin? Either a family member or someone who came over?

The best thing to do is try to find out what caused the sudden change and then either fix the problem. If it's something that can't be fixed just go back to square one with bonding. Sit by his cage, read to him, sing if you do that, give him a treat or chew sticks, and just give him time to let him realize/remember you are not a threat.

My grandma and her dog recently came over so that may be it. Milo is in a closed room and the dog can't even get close to him but maybe he can still hear the dogs foot prints. He is starting to get better again but I notice he's always scared when my grandma is around so her coming might have spooked him. Thank you for your answer! Il keep working on bonding with him :)

Back