Bonding with chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azha.and.Kuma

Hi there! I am new to the chinchilla world however I have previously owned two rabbits so I kind of understand some aspects. However, I have two male chinchillas who are father and son and are only 3 and 1 year old. I've had them for four or five months now and they somewhat are OK with me but they are really difficult to bond with, aren't too cuddly which I knew could be a possibility and run when I make even the slightest move. What can I do to kind of bond with them? They really don't give me many opportunities to try but I do.:hmm:

It just takes time, keep interacting with them and as they age and get more laid back most will come around I have found.

With my chinnies I just laid in the play pen with them and just let them run all over me. And eventually they learned to trust me, you have to move slowly to pet them. They are good at remembering things too, so if you spook them once you’ll have to build that trust up all over again.

Back