Chinchilla Pooping/not Pooping - HELP!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atravellersp

Hi - had my Chin for less than a month. He seemed to be pooping all the time - then yesterday, suddenly didn't poop all day. I got concerned - mind you - Mon-Thurs he is in may office and while he sleeps a lot - he is used to my movements and gets up to eat a little/drink a little, etc... Fri - I was with why toddler age son all day and he was left alone most of the day - so he pretty much slept all day. Also, we just replaced the water bottle with a glass one and it seemed to not give the water as easily as the plastic one we had. I gave him attention last night - he ran around, ate a bunch of hay and drank a bunch of water (we put the old water bottle back) and he pooped a normal amount in the night. But then today after the morning activity - I was not around much of the day and same routine - he is moving around now, eating - I'm in the office - but again no poops yet - which is what happened yesterday - it took like an hour and then the poop came back. Is this remotely normal? Should I be getting him into the vet? His poop from last night looked normal not constipated - I looked up images. Help? Thank you.

I would not worry, some just don't do much during they day and they don't poo. If you want to do a poo check to see if there is a problem, put the chin is a cleaned out shower or bath tub, close the door and leave them there for 15 min, if they can poo they will poo. If after the 15 min there is no poo, there is a issue. The "stress" of being in the shower (new area) gets the digestive system moving.

Thank you - I may try that. Poop last night was normal but seemed less than in past nights. I will see what we get tonight and if seems less, I'll try what you suggested in the morning. I think I'll have to stay in the bathroom though - we did a dust bath in the tub and he almost jumped out a few times. He is a real jumper.

Back